2019 MDHT Cross Derby Series
|Show Date||Closing Date||Snow Date|
|January 5, 2019||December 28, 2018||January 6|
|February 2, 2019||January 25, 2019||February 3|
|March 9 - 10, 2019||February 25, 2019|
Description of MDHT Cross Derby courses: All rings will have cross country obstacles you would find on a typical competition course with show jump obstacles mixed in. The objective is to establish a rhythm over solid jumps in reliable consistent footing. Optimum times will be posted on day of derby. Poles/xrails through Modified. Schooling session before each division to school over the competition jumps beforehand. We will be starting with Poles/xrails and moving up so as to allow competitors to "move up" if desired. $85/round (includes schooling session) $35 for Poles/xrails.
Poles/Xrails*** 10 - 12 ** obstacles at 200 mpm* (can be led)
Elementary (2' - 2'3") 12 - 15** obstacles @ 275 mpm*
Beginner Novice (2'7" max) 15 - 18** obstacles @ 325 mpm*
Novice (2'11" max) 20 - 22** obstacles at 350 mpm*
Training (3'3" max) 22+** obstacles at 375 mpm*
Modified (3'5" max) 23+** obstacles at 400 mpm*
*The derby speeds are slightly lower than regular XC to incorporate a better flow over the cross country jumps.
** Subject to change
*** Same rider/horse combination cannot enter into a higher division.
Rules: The MDHT Derby will follow the USEA/USEF Jumping phase rules. USEF rules for Cross Country dress and tack will be followed. All Riders must wear ASTM/SEI approved helmet, protective vests, and medical armband. Willful delay will be enforced. Competitors may enter more than one level but would be expected not to enter their horses less than one level below which they are currently competing. No coaching during competition, but highly encouraged in our schooling sessions.
There will be an audible signal to start. Fall of horse or rider during jumping phase is immediate elimination and you must leave the course.
Knock Down -- 4 points
1st Refusal -- 4 points
2nd Refusal at same fence -- 8 points
3rd refusal same fence – Elimination
Fall of Competitor -- Elimination
Fall of Horse -- Elimination
4 Refusals on Whole Course – Elimination
Skipping or missing a fence - Elimination
Circle will count as a refusal (unless before first jump)
Time Penalty – 1 Per Second Under Optimum Time; 2 Per Second Over Optimum Time
Willful Delay, as defined by USEA rules - 8 points
Leaving course (arena) -- Elimination
Combinations numbered "AB" will be as per Stadium Rules, i.e., if "B" is refused, "A" must be re-jumped on second presentation.
Riders must wear an ASTM/SEI approved helmet and body protector as well as a medical armband.
Scoring: Penalties in jumping are added to determine placing for each division. Closest to optimum time and lowest score wins. Ties will be broken by the better time
8 Ribbons per division
All horses must have a current negative Coggins submitted with entry.
Closing Date: Entries must be received by the Sunday prior to the event day
- LIMITED SPACE available. Sign up early!
- Schooling periods will be offered before each division. Schedule to be posted in advance.
- $25 late fee will be charged after closing date. BUT entries sent after closing may not be accepted if no room.
- A competitor may pay $85 and sign up for EXTRA Derby rounds on the day of the show IF space is available. Check in with the starter, then pay in the office.
- Competition Cancellation – No refund.
- No unauthorized motor vehicles of any kind allowed on course.
- We will issue paper pinnies, please bring pinny holder
- $50 returned check fee.
- NO unleashed dogs. Unleashed dogs will incur $100 fine and competitor elimination.
- Ride times & schooling schedule will be posted on the THURSDAY before the show at: www.themarylandhorsetrials.com.
- Vet and Farrier will be on call.
- Current Negative Coggins required with entry form. We do not keep coggins on file unless uploaded on website
- Loch Moy Farm Liability Waiver (below) required with entry form. We do not keep waivers on file unless uploaded on website.
- USEA Educational Activities Waiver required with entry as this is considered to be an educational activity.
- In the interest of horse and rider welfare and safety, the weather forecast will be taken into account at or after the closing date. An inclement forecast may cancel the event.