Winter Cross Derby Series 2019-2020
|Show Date||Closing Date|
|December 7-8, 2019||November 25, 2019|
|January 4, 2020 **Roaring '20s Information**
||December 30, 2019||Online Entry||Print Entry Form|
|February 1, 2020||Online Entry|
|March 7-8, 2020
||February 24, 2020||Online entry||Print Entry Form|
Description of MDHT Cross Derby courses: All rings will have cross country obstacles you would find on a typical competition course with show jump obstacles mixed in. The objective is to establish a rhythm over solid jumps in reliable consistent footing. Optimum times will be posted on day of derby. Logs/xrails through Modified. Schooling session before each division to school over the competition jumps beforehand. We will be starting with Logs/xrails and moving up so as to allow competitors to "move up" if desired. $95/round (includes schooling session) $35 for Logs/xrails.
|Level||Jumping Efforts||Course Length (appx)||Speed*|
|Logs/Xrails***||10 - 12**||TBA||200 mpm* (can be led)|
|Elementary (2' - 2'3")||12 - 18**||TBA||300 mpm*|
|Beginner Novice (2'7" max)||15 - 20**||TBA||340 mpm*|
|Novice (2'11" max)||20 - 22**||TBA||375 mpm*|
|Training (3'3" max)||22+**||TBA||400 mpm*|
|Modified (3'5" max)||23+**||TBA||425 mpm*|
*The derby speeds are slightly higher than regular SJ to incorporate a better flow over the cross country jumps.
** Subject to change
*** Same rider/horse combination cannot enter into a higher division.
Schedule and Order of Go:
Saturday (Dec, 7, Jan 4, March 7): Elementary, Beginner Novice, Novice, Training, Modified
Sunday (Dec 8, March 8): Logs, Elementary, Beginner Novice, Novice
Rules: The Cross Derby will follow the USEA/USEF Jumping phase rules. USEF rules for Cross Country dress and tack will be followed. All Riders must wear ASTM/SEI approved helmet, protective vests, and medical armband. Willful delay will be enforced. Competitors may enter more than one level but would be expected not to enter their horses less than one level below which they are currently competing. No coaching during competition, but highly encouraged in our schooling sessions. Divisions will run from low to high to allow for move-ups. There will be an audible signal to start. Fall of horse or rider during jumping phase is immediate elimination and you must leave the course.
- Knock Down -- 4 points
- 1st Refusal -- 4 points
- 2nd Refusal at same fence -- 8 points
- 3rd refusal same fence – Elimination
- Fall of Competitor or Horse -- Elimination
- 4 Refusals on Whole Course – Elimination
- Skipping or missing a fence - Elimination
- Willful Delay, as defined by USEA rules - 8 points
- A circle between fences will count as a refusal. A circle before Fence 1 is allowed but will count against time.
- Time Penalty – 1 Per Second Under Optimum Time; 2 Per Second Over Optimum Time
- Exceeding time limit – Elimination
- Leaving course (arena) -- Elimination
- Combinations numbered "AB" will be as per Stadium Rules, i.e., if "B" is refused, "A" must be re-jumped on second presentation.
- Scoring: Lowest penalty score wins. Ties will be broken by being closest to optimum time.
- All horses must have a current negative Coggins submitted with entry.
- Riders must wear an ASTM/SEI approved helmet and body protector as well as a medical armband.
- 8 Ribbons per division (Prizes for 1st - 3rd)
Closing Date: Entries must be received by the Sunday prior to the event day
- LIMITED SPACE available. Sign up early!
- Schooling periods will be offered before each division. There will be a short schooling before Logs division. Schedule to be posted in advance.
- For the Logs division, green horses will run separate from green/leadline riders if entries permit!
- $25 late fee will be charged after closing date. BUT entries sent after closing may not be accepted if no room.
- A competitor may pay the full entry rate and sign up for EXTRA Derby rounds on the day of the show IF space is available. Check in with the starter, then pay in the office.
- Competition Cancellation – No refund.
- No unauthorized motor vehicles of any kind allowed on course.
- We will issue paper pinnies, please bring pinny holder
- $50 returned check fee.
- NO unleashed dogs. Unleashed dogs will incur $100 fine and competitor elimination.
- Ride times will be posted on the THURSDAY before the show at: www.themarylandhorsetrials.com.
- Vet and Farrier will be on call.
- Current Negative Coggins required with entry form. We do not keep coggins on file unless uploaded on website
- Loch Moy Farm Liability Waiver (below) required with entry form. We do not keep waivers on file unless uploaded on website.
- USEA Educational Activities Waiver required with entry as this is considered to be an educational activity.
- In the interest of horse and rider welfare and safety, the weather forecast will be taken into account at or after the closing date. An inclement forecast may cancel the event.
Winter Cross Derby Series Awards
Individual Series Awards
The top 3 riders with the least accumulated points will win special prizes at the end of the series (December 7-8, January 4, March 7-8).
• Riders must ride in all 3 cross derbies.
• Same horse and rider combination.
• Can do different divisions.
• An elimination will be assessed 100 penalty points.
• Logs/Crossrails Division is not eligible for points.
• Lowest total penalty points wins. Ties will not be broken.
Team Series Awards
Compete as part of a team for a chance to win additional prizes.
• Teams are made up of three or four riders.
• If three riders, all scores count toward the team score.
• If four riders, the highest score is dropped.
• Riders may ride multiple horses for one team.
• Horse substitutions are allowed in the event of lameness, etc. Notify secretary of change in advance.
• A rider’s elimination does not eliminate the team, but that rider will automatically be assigned 100 penalty points.
• The top team gets prizes, including your names engraved on a perpetual trophy.
• Team must participate in at least two of the three cross derbies. The two lowest team scores of the series will be tallied for the series award.
• Scores will be based on penalty points. Lowest total penalty points wins.
• Logs/Crossrails Division is not eligible for team points.